Friday 27 June 2014

When life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

Today we careened around the Amalfi Coast Road, hanging on for grim death as the mini bus twisted and turned around hairpin bends. Luckily the scenery was so breathtaking that we forgot the danger we were in and spent our time trying to take that one good photo that would help us remember how beautiful it was. Positano is pressed into the side of a hill with winding alleys full of expensive shops. It's a place full of possibilities, but we only had one hour there so I walked down for 30 mins and then turned around and started  the climb back up to the bus! I want to go back, arrive by boat, enjoy looking at he village from the bottom of the hill where I can truly take it all without fearing I'll die of exhaustion trying to get home.

The lemons from Positano are thick skinned and need weeks to turn into the beautiful Limoncello we saw everywhere. The lemons from Sorrento, however, are thinner skinned and much more juicy. Mum and Dad, watch out. I'm coming home to have a go at making Limincello myself. Lemons were everywhere. Lemon gelato (deluxe!), lemon pasta, lemon lollies, lemon soap, lemons on dishes and tea towels, lemon cakes (a specialty of the region). I will forever remember the citrus candles burning as we meandered our way down the hill inviting you to buy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment