Sunday 22 June 2014

The Love Boat

I have just realised that the Regal Princess plays the first bars from the Love Boat theme when it blows it's horn to announce our arrival or departure from port.
Who thought THAT was a good idea? Lou and I watched an old rerun of the Love Boat last night and it's even cornier now with it's contrived dialogue and canned laughter. But there are elements of the Princess Line operation you can still see in use today.

This boat (sorry Dad, ship) is a well oiled machine. It's quite amazing to think about the logistics and organisational structure of cruising with high numbers of passengers. Of course technology makes it easier. We have a card that is scanned for purchases or for getting on and off the ship and it evidently ensures we are not left behind if we sink. 

There is a TV studio that broadcasts each day, although "The Wake Show" is never gonna be a ratings winner. The same goes for the web cam. If you are bored of the sea view from you room, you can look at the sea from the front of the ship. Doesn't look any different to me. I do, however, always feel good when I am on water.

Nothing is too much trouble for anyone, from the bar staff to the stewards to the chefs to the ladies that look after the rooms. Of course there is a cost to all of this luxury and service. Drinks. Daily gratuities. Shore excursions. Shuttles to town locations on arrival. Designer shopping. All part of making your life wonderful. 

I could live on the Regal Princess and never get tired or old. I would , however, be smarter, fatter and poorer. All I need to do is reconcile myself to hearing that Love Boat theme in every port of call. Worth it, I reckon.


No comments:

Post a Comment