Sunday 15 June 2014

Sharing Venice

We got an early start today in terms of Venetian standards. We were up and out by 9 am. We bought tickets for the vaporetto to to Burano via Murano and we were off the a smooth start until I swiped mine and it wouldn't work. Of course, it was operator error (I was swiping my hotel room key) and it made the ticket sellers laugh but I got it sorted in the end. Lou got pushed by a nasty American rushing for a seat in the ferry. It was so unexpected because he was about 80 years old and looked like such a gentleman. We cannot get over the lack of manners or understanding of personal space in Europe in summer. We are learning to walk with our elbows up and out!
Burano was beautiful and we singlehandedly raised the GDP of Italy today. Beautiful lace and you'll be pleased to hear that Lou did not purchase the tablecloth for 800€. I did buy something from the lady below. They all work on the lace, each with their own special expertise, and the work is very detailed.
I had heard the ladies were all in their 80s and the craft was slowly dying out but after today I realise that can't be true. 


The only down side to the last few days in Venice has been sharing it with the other hundreds of thousands of tourists. Even as we were returning from Burano, ferries were disgorging hundreds of people all intent on the same thing. I wished we could have it to ourselves, just for an hour or two, and I bet by the end of Summer, the Venetians do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment