Sunday 29 June 2014

In love with Lucca

Lou asked me why Lucca was better than Sienna or San Gimingnano and my first answer was because it was flat. And at this point in my life, and at this point in our trip, that is a great reason to like a place. But I am selling Lucca short because it was quite magical. Encircled by huge walls, Lucca has beautiful churches, narrow, winding streets where around almost every corner there's a small square where you can sit in a cafe and watch the world go by. The shops are sensational and sell everything from high end fashion to locally produced silk scarves, leather bags to specialty gelati. The walls are 9 m thick and over the years have been planted with linden trees so they have become a park that locals cycle, jog or walk their dogs around. There was a baroque garden in one of the villas that was so beautiful I could have sat it in all morning. 
I never intended to go to Lucca but I am so lucky I did. 



No comments:

Post a Comment